Click here for CV
- Research Scientist (Oct 2018 – present)
- Biocomplexity Institute & Initiative, University of Virginia
- Computational Health Data Scientist (Dec 2017 – Oct 2018)
- Biocomplexity Institute, Virginia Tech
- Postdoctoral Associate (Feb 2015 – Nov 2017)
- Research Assistant (May – Nov 2014)
- Dept. of Information Engineering, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Mentor: Prof. Dah Ming Chiu
- Student Intern (May – Aug 2007) , Bell Labs Research India
- Ph.D. (Aug. 2008 – Apr 2014) – Influence Dynamics on Social Networks
- Dept. of ECE, Indian Institute of Science
- Advisor: Prof. Anurag Kumar
- B.E. (Aug 2004- Jun 2008) – Dept. of ECE, College of Engg. Guindy
- Final Year Project: Relay Selection for Cooperative Diversity in Wireless Networks
- Stochastic processes
- Agent-based modeling
- Differential Equations
- Optimization and Optimal Control
- Network Science
- Network Epidemiology
- Computational Modeling
- Complex Networks
- Social Information Networks
- Academic Social Networks
- Mobile Opportunistic systems
Srinivasan Venkatramanan, Jiangzhuo Chen, Arindam Fadikar, Sandeep Gupta, Dave Higdon, Bryan Lewis, Madhav Marathe, Henning Mortveit, Anil Vullikanti, Optimizing spatial allocation of seasonal inuenza vaccine under temporal constraints, PLOS Computational Biology (2019).
Srinivasan Venkatramanan, Sichao Wu, Bowen Shi, Achla Marathe, Madhav Marathe, Stephen Eubank, Lalit Sah, A.P. Giri, Luke Colavito, Nitin S, Sridhar V, Asokan R, Rangaswamy Muniappan, George Norton, and Abhijin Adiga, Modeling commodity flow in the context of invasive species spread: Study of Tuta absoluta in Nepal., Elsevier Journal of Crop Protection (2019).
- Arindam Fadikar, Dave Higdon, Jiangzhuo Chen, Bryan Lewis, Srini Venkatramanan, Madhav Marathe, Calibrating a Stochastic Agent based model using Quantile-based Emulation, SIAM Journal of Uncertainty Quantification (arXiv)
- Qiu Fang Ying, Xiaopeng Zhang, Srinivasan Venkatramanan, and Dah Ming Chiu, User Modeling and Usage Profiling Based on Temporal Posting Behavior in OSNs, accepted to appear in Elsevier Online Social Networks and Media
Wu Yan, Srinivasan Venkatramanan and Dah Ming Chiu, A Population Model for Academia: Case Study of the Computer Science Community using DBLP Bibliography 1960-2016, accepted to appear in IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing.
- Srinivasan Venkatramanan, Bryan Lewis, Jiangzhuo Chen, Dave Higdon, Anil Vullikanti, Madhav Marathe, Using data-driven agent-based models for forecasting emerging infectious diseases, accepted to appear in Elsevier Epidemics, 2017.
- Farzaneh Sadat Tabataba, Prithwish Chakraborty, Naren Ramakrishnan, Srinivasan Venkatramanan, Jiangzhuo Chen, Bryan Lewis and Madhav Marathe, A Framework for Evaluating Epidemic Forecasts, accepted to appear in BMC Infectious Diseases, 2017.
- Wu Yan, Srinivasan Venkatramanan and Dah Ming Chiu, Research collaboration and topic trends in Computer Science based on top active authors, PeerJ Computer Science 2:e41, 2016.
- Srinivasan Venkatramanan and Anurag Kumar, Co-Evolution of Content Spread and Popularity in Mobile Opportunistic Networks, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing 13(11): 2498-2509, February 2014
- Madhurima Nath, Srinivasan Venkatramanan, Bryan Kaperick, Stephen Eubank, Madhav Marathe, Achla Marathe and Abhijin Adiga, Using Network Reliability to Understand International Food Trade Dynamics, to be presented at COMPLEX NETWORKS 2018.
Qiufang Ying, Dah Ming Chiu, Srinivasan Venkatramanan, and Xiaopeng Zhang, Profiling OSN Users Based on Temporal Posting Patterns , ACM OSNeD 2018 (Online Social Networks and Media: Network Properties and Dynamics), co-held with The Web Conference (WWW) 2018.
Srinivasan Venkatramanan, Sichao Wu, Bowen Shi, Achla Marathe, Madhav Marathe, Stephen Eubank, Lalit Sah, A.P. Giri, Luke Colavito, Nitin S, Sridhar V, Asokan R, Rangaswamy Muniappan, George Norton, and Abhijin Adiga, Towards Robust Models of Food Flows and Their Role in Invasive Species Spread , IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE Big Data), 2017. [Slides]
Farzaneh Sadat Tabataba, Milad Hosseinipour, Bryan Lewis, Foroogh Sadat Tabataba, Srinivasan Venkatramanan, Dave Higdon, Jiangzhuo Chen, and Madhav Marathe, Epidemic Forecasting by Combining Agent-Based Models and Smart Beam-Particle Filtering Framework, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM) short paper, 2017.
- Venkatramanan S, Chen J, Gupta S, Lewis B, Marathe M, Mortveit H, Kumar VS Anil (2017) Spatio-temporal optimization of seasonal vaccination using a metapopulation model of influenza, IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics (ICHI) 2017.
- Towards an Integrated Network-based Approach to Modeling the Dynamics of Invasive Plant Pests, to be presented at KDD 2016 Workshop on Data Science for Food, Energy and Water, San Francisco, August 2016 [Paper]
- Wu Yan, Srini Venkat, and Dah Ming Chiu, Get To the Top and Stay There: A Study of Citation Rank Dynamics in Academia, Proceedings of the 25th International Conference Companion on World Wide Web (BigScholar), 2016.
- Abhijin Adiga, Srinivasan Venkatramanan, Anil Vullikanti, To delay or not: temporal vaccination games on networks, IEEE INFOCOM 2016.
- Wu Yan, Srinivasan Venkatramanan and Dah Ming Chiu, Research Collaboration and Topic Trends in Computer Science – An Analysis Based on UCP Authors, SAVE- SD (WWW’15 Companion), Florence, Italy
- Qiu Fang Ying, Srinivasan Venkatramanan and Dah Ming Chiu, Modeling and Analysis of Scholar Mobility on Scientific Landscape, BigScholar (WWW’15 Companion), Florence, Italy
- Srinivasan Venkatramanan, and Anurag Kumar, Competition for Content Spread over Multiple Social Networks, presented at SCINSE, co-held with COMSNETS’14, Bangalore, India. (Best presentation award) [Slides]
- Eitan Altman, Parmod Kumar, Srinivasan Venkatramanan, and Anurag Kumar, Competition over Timeline in Social Networks, SNAA, co-held with ASONAM’13, Niagara Falls, Canada. [Slides]
- Srinivasan Venkatramanan and Anurag Kumar, Co-evolution of Content Popularity and Delivery in Mobile P2P Networks, INFOCOM’12, Orlando,FL. pdf, [Slides]
- Srinivasan Venkatramanan and Anurag Kumar, Information Dissemination in Socially Aware Networks Under the Linear Threshold Model, NCC’11, Bangalore, India. [Slides]
Sambaturu P, Bhattacharya P, Chen J, Lewis B, Marathe M, Venkatramanan S, Vullikanti A, An automated approach for finding spatio-temporal patterns in disease spread, JMIR Preprints. 20/11/2018:12842
Heinrichs, E.A., Sidhu Jaspreet, Muniappan,R., Fayad,Amer, Adiga, Abhijin, Marathe, Achla, Mcnitt Joseph, Venkatramanan, Srinivasan, Pest Risk Assessment of the Fall Armyworm, Spodoptera frugiperda in Egypt, report published by Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Integrated Pest Management, December 2017.
- Srinivasan Venkatramanan and Anurag Kumar, Influence Spread in Social Networks: A Study via a Fluid Limit of the Linear Threshold Model, arXiv:1405.7096
- Srinivasan Venkatramanan and Anurag Kumar, New Insights from an Analysis of Social Influence Networks under the Linear Threshold model, arXiv:1002.1335
- Computing for Health: In silico approaches for health sciences, invited talk at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Jan 2019.
- Team 4Sight – CDC FluSight 2017-18, presentation at the CSTE/CDC Seasonal Influenza Forecasting Workshop, Atlanta, GA, Aug 2018.
Exploring optimal vaccine allocation using a national model of influenza, poster presented at UNC Going Viral Symposium, Chapel Hill, NC, Apr 2018 (Best Poster Award)
iFlu, e-Flu: where from and where to?, invited talk at Schiffert Health Center, Virginia Tech, Mar 2018.
- Resource optimization problems using a mathematical model of influenza, presented at the 6th Annual MIDAS Outreach Conference, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, November 2017
Hybrid models for ecological and anthropogenic drivers of pest invasion: Case study of Tuta Absoluta in Nepal, presented at International Conference on Biodiversity, Climate Change Assessment and Impacts on Livelihood, Kathmandu, Nepal, January 2017
- Modeling in the Time of Ebola: Using HPC Simulations to Understand Infectious Disease Dynamics, talk given at IISc. Bangalore and IIT Madras, February 2016
- Ebola Forecasting Challenge: Team Virginia Tech, talk given at NIH/RAPIDD Ebola Forecasting Challenge workshop, Bethesda, February 2016
- Calibration and Forecasting Framework for Infectious Diseases, poster presented at International Symposium for Next Generation Infrastructure (ISNGI), Washington D.C., September 2015
- Influence Dynamics on Social Networks , Thesis Colloquium, Apr. 2014 video
- Delay-Cost Optimal Coupon Delivery in Mobile Opportunistic Networks ,
- Indo-US Workshop on Machine Learning, Game theory and Optimization, IISc., 2014
- High Dimensional Network Analytics Workshop, Department of CSA, IISc., 2013
- Spread of Content and Interest in Mobile Opportunistic Networks,
- Intl. Conference on Networks in Biology, Social Sciences and Engg, IISc. 2012
- Department Student Colloquium, ECE, IISc, Dec. 2012
- Information Dissemination in Social Networks under the LT model, Workshop on Recent Trends in Social Networks: Algorithms, Models and Learning, held at TIFR, Mumbai, Jan. 2011
- Influence Spread in Social Networks, poster presented at Techvista organized by Microsoft Research, Bangalore, Jan. 2010.
- How to Give a Technical Talk?, NDSSL Seminar Series, Aug. 2016
- Evolution of Cooperation – Winners Don’t Punish, Game Theory course presentation, IISc, Spring 2010.
- Why SNA? A Network Engineer’s Perspective , survey talk given at the ECE Department, IISc Bangalore, Jan. 2010.
- Co-PI: Smart Targeting and Optimization for the Mitigation and Prevention of Influenza (STOMP-Flu). Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) ($454,427, 2019-2020)
- Co-PI: Network-based Mobility Modeling for Complex Humanitarian Emergencies. Global Infectious Diseases Institute, University of Virginia ($98,750, 2019-2020)
- Co-PI: AccuWeather License to Use, Market and Resell 4-Week Influenza Forecast. AccuWeather ($55,000, 2018-2019)
- Co-PI: Assessment of Invasive Alien Species Distribution in the Chitwan-Annapurna-Landscape (CHAL) Region, Nepal. United States Agency for International Development (USAID) ($135,458, 2018-2019)
- Postdoc/key personnel: A High-resolution Interaction Based Approach to Modeling the Spread of Agricultural Invasive Species. United States Agency for International Development (USAID) ($1,000,000, 2015-2019)
- Researchers at Virginia Tech’s Biocomplexity Institute work to forecast flu-like weather, Collegiate Times, February 19th, 2018
- Virginia Tech Flu Forecasting Technology to be used by Accuweather , WSLS, Dec 6th 2017
- Virginia Tech researchers develop computer model to predict Zika movement, WSET, June 21st 2016
- TPC: COMSNETS 2015, COMSNETS 2016, COMSNETS 2018 Graduate Forum
- Reviewer: IEEE Infocom 2019, IEEE TMC, IEEE TIT, Elsevier TCS, PLOS Currents: Outbreaks, Springer Articial Intelligence Review, Epidemiology and Infection, Health Security, Elsevier Ecological Modeling
- Local Organizing Committee, ICTS School and Workshop on Network Science in EECS, IISc., 2012
- Akhil Peddireddy – Masters GRA (Fall 2019)
- Project: Real-time database for multi-modal spatiotemporal inuenza surveillance
- Andrew Murphy – Undergrad intern (Summer 2019)
- Hierarchical seasonal autoregressive models for influenza forecasting
- Ethan Ludwick – Undergrad intern (Summer 2018)
- Project: Using machine learning and satellite imagery data to map C. odorata in Nepal
- Kingsley Nwosu – Undergrad intern (Summer 2017)
- Asia Taylor – Undergrad intern (Summer 2017)
Best Poster Award at the UNC Going Viral Symposium, Chapel Hill, NC, Apr 2018
- Runner up – BDMM2017 Hackathon (Medi-Sieve: Towards Healthcare Fraud Detection), co-held with IEEE BigData 2017, Boston, Dec 2017
- Among top 3 teams (representing Virginia Tech) in NIH/NSF RAPIDD Ebola Forecasting Challenge, Sep-Dec 2015
Best Presentation Award at the SCINSE’14 workshop co-held with COMSNETS 2014
- 6th out of 225 teams (with Harish Guruprasad) – Event Recommendation Challenge – Kaggle.com, Feb 2013
- Runner up – NTL Robot Challenge – NASA Tournament Lab and Topcoder, June 2012